Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ring of Fire

I don't normally post about any tv shows that I watch but I cannot let this go by without saying anything. Adam Lambert's performance last night on American Idol was the worst performance I have ever seen.

He did a middle eastern sitar version of Johnny Cash's song Ring of Fire. And he not only killed the song...he spat on it, rubbed it in the dirt and set it on fire. It was horrible. It was a disgrace to the man in black.

I have to admit that I have never much liked Adam. I think his look is ridiculous and it looks like he tries to hard to be cool. But last night was the last straw. He was so high-pitched on a normally deep, rough song I'm sure millions of dogs everywhere had to have started howling because it sounded like a dog whistle.

I know I am being really mean. Really really mean. But it's one thing to take a song and make it your own and another to just butcher it completely to make yourself stand out as the "unique" one. It was painful and aggravating and frustrating to watch.

The first time I ever heard Ring of Fire was on an old record playing credenza. It had awesome sound in that thing. And the record version is and always will be my favorite. Although I will probably never hear it again. It was deep and piercing. I used to listen to it over and over when I was pregnant with Anthony. (The record version is technically no different, but records have a different rough scratchiness to them that adds to the songs)

I guess my expectations are high. Well, why wouldn't they be when you pick a song like that? You have to be able to step up to the plate and deliver. And I have to say that I think Adam didn't do that in any way. Simon's comments about him were dead on and I really hope that he will go home soon.

Oh one more thing....what is up with having 2 Martina McBride songs and 2 Carrie Underwood (well duh) songs? I think they could have expanded their country artist range for sure. I would have loved to hear I'll Think of Something by Mark Chesnutt (one of my favorite songs ever), or a better Garth Brooks song, like Shameless? Oh well, can't wait for tonight to see who goes home. Who knew a little vent about American Idol would have turned into such a long post! lol

No comments: