Friday, January 29, 2010

Uncle Dean

Just as I was finishing up my last blog post I got a call that my Uncle Dean had passed away. He had been sick for quite awhile with cancer and he went to take a nap and didn't wake up.

I wish that I could say that I was super close to him but I wasn't. I used to be. He was my favorite uncle as a kid. I loved it when he came around. But he was just as hard-headed as me and we didn't see eye to eye, so we didn't keep in touch as much as we should. And I'm writing this because I regret that so bad.

It always happens that way doesn't it? When it's too late to change things. Times like this really make me look at my past friendships. Is there someone in my past that I've held a grudge against that I could forgive and re-open that closed door?

Don't get me wrong, my uncle and I didn't have some big blow-up or anything. But I do wish that I would have made more of an effort to spend time with him and his family. Especially since he is my only other relative (besides my mom) that lived in Texas.

I will now though. Lesson learned.

I wish I had a picture of him to post. I will try to find one and add it later. For now all I have is his obituary.



Arnold Dean Gilbert, 66, of Denton, died Friday January 22, 2010 at his home in Denton. Mr. Gilbert was born on December 24, 1943 in Stockton, CA.

His parents were Ruth Mueller and Rudy Mueller. Dean and Janice (Garner) were together since August 1, 1988 and then were married on March 31, 2005 in Sanger, TX. He was a retired electrician.

A visitation will be held from 7:00 PM until 8:00 PM Tuesday January 26 at the funeral home. A funeral service will be held at 2:00 PM Wednesday January 27 in the chapel of Mulkey-Mason, Jack Schmitz and Son Funeral Home, 705 N. Locust, Denton, TX.

Interment will follow at Roselawn Memorial Park. Pallbearers will be Anthony Gilbert, Christopher Garner, Kevin Porter, Brandon White, Aaron Bagby, Anthony O’Brien.

Dean is survived by his wife, Janice Gilbert of Denton; daughter, Jamie Gilbert of Denton; sons, Christopher Garner of Denton, Anthony Gilbert of Denton; mother, Ruth Mueller of Stockton, CA; sisters, Fran O’Brien of Lewisville, TX, Kathy Croci of Stockton, CA; brother, Michael Mueller of Woodbridge, CA; numerous grandchildren, nieces and nephews; four daughters from a previous marriage, Debbie, Denee, Desorea and Danelle.

Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, 3301 West Freeway, Fort Worth, TX 76107; or to the GBS/CIDP Foundation, The Holly Building, 104 ½ Forrest Ave., Narbeth, PA 19072.

No comments: