Friday, April 30, 2010

Rest In Peace Caleb

Yesterday was the saddest day ever for us. We had to put our dog Caleb to sleep. It broke our hearts to make the decision but it was the right thing to do.

We don't know exactly what happened but I found Caleb in the garage Wednesday evening with a huge cut on his stomach. It was about a foot long and spread apart at least 6 inches. There wasn't any damage to his organs, it just looked like a big cut with very little blood.

We cleaned him up and bandaged him, then took him to the vet first thing yesterday morning. We were hoping that they would be able to stitch him up but the vet said that his injuries were too extensive. The cut wasn't spread apart, his skin was actually missing from that spot.

She said that they could do surgery but he would need skin graphs and not just one surgery but several. Plus to make sure he didn't mess up any of the skin graphs, he would have to be sedated 24/7 for a couple of months and because of how large the wound was, he would more than likely get an infection and still die.

So Aaron and I decided that it would be best for him not to have to go through that. We went and got the kids and brought them to the clinic so they could say good bye to him. My mom met us up there and took the kids outside while Aaron and I stayed with Caleb. He died looking me right in the eye.

Caleb was a very good and loving dog. I'm glad he isn't hurting anymore and in my heart of hearts I know that he knew how much we loved him. We showed him that every day.

Emma took it the hardest. She loved Caleb with all of her heart. They were best friends.

Caleb was my shadow. My stalker dog. It didn't feel right yesterday when I went to bed and he didn't follow me in there and jump up on the bed with me. I never knew how much it would hurt to lose a pet like this. It kills me because he was a part of our family. One of the kids. I'm just physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted right now.


















Caleb Ann Bagby
January 31, 2007-April 29, 2010




No comments: