Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Happy Birthday Jason

Happy 37th Birthday Jason!


Today is my brother Jason's 37th birthday. Jason passed away in a car accident 12 years ago. I always use this picture of us (taken on my 18th birthday) whenever I post about him and frankly, I'm tired of it! I need to scan more pictures, especially ones from when we were kid's. But for today, this will have to do.

I wrote this poem for Jason. I started writing poetry when I was 10 and my dad passed away. After Jason died I stopped completely. I just had no inspiration. So I'm kind of excited to be able to write again. I feel free. So here it is, my first poem in 12 years.

For Jason

Time stood still.

I held my breath.

I thought that if I let it out

time would rush back in,

and the reality of you gone

would set back in,

and I would have to manage

through it for another day.

All I can do is hold on to

what memories I have left,

maybe a picture or two.

Time steals sounds and smells.

It's sometimes cruel

and twisted,

robbing me of what little I have.

Without you here there is so

little to take.

So I hold my breath

while time stands still.

A forgotten memory rushes back

and I smile,

wishing you were here to reminisce with me.

But I'll take what I can get.

A brief moment

that takes us back.

Then I exhale,

and wake up from my dream.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Happy Birthday Jason!!!

I am so sorry for your loss. Your poem is great! Glad you are able to write again!

Anonymous said...

Jason would be so pround of he person you are & for his poem
thanks